Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Donald Trump Addresses The John Lewis Issue: The Swan Interview

It's time to Break It Down! 

 

OK, truth in advertising; there was much more in the AXIOS interview than questions about Congressman Lewis. To get the full impact of what transpired, you would benefit greatly from clicking on the link below and watching the YouTube video of Jonathan Swan’s recent AXIOS on HBO Exclusive interview with Donald Trump.

 

I wrote about John Lewis last week; didn’t mention Donald Trump. In this post, I am focusing only on four Swan questions, all of which centered on the late Congressman John Lewis, and Mr. Trump’s responses. Yeah, it’s a quick read. You’re welcome!

 

I’ll get right to it:

 

Swan: How do you think history will remember John Lewis?

 

Trump: I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know John Lewis. He chose not to come to my inauguration. He chose—I never met John Lewis, actually, I don’t believe.

 

Swan: Do you find John Lewis impressive?

 

Trump: I can’t say one way or the other – I find a lot of people impressive. I find many people not impressive, but no, he didn’t come to my inauguration. He didn’t come to my State of the Union speeches, and that’s Okay. That’s his right. And again, nobody has done more for Black Americans than I have. He should’ve come. I think he made a mistake. I think he should’ve come.

 

Swan: But taking your relationship with him out of it, do you find his story impressive – what he’s done for this country?

 

Trump: He was a person that devoted a lot of energy and a lot of heart to civil rights. But there were many others, also.

 

Swan: There’s a petition to rename the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama as the John Lewis Bridge. Would you support that idea?

 

Trump: I would have no objection to it if they ‘d like to do it. I’d have no objection to it, whatsoever. 

 

Although not an exhaustive list, the interview also touched upon COVID-19, sometimes referred to by Mr. Trump as the China virus, China, Tulsa, Fox News ratings, canceled rallies, good and bad Governors, testing, the great job the U.S. has done with the virus, Russian bounties, fake news, never having discussed the bounties with Putin, global warming, daily intelligence briefings, the angry place that is the world, Russia/Afghanistan, U.S. troop levels in Afghanistan, having taken out ISIS, conditions under which Trump would not accept November’s election results, ballots vs. applications, Ghislaine Maxwell, Portland, anarchists, protesters, Antifa, and Chad Wolf, people rounded up without being told why they are being detained, Democrat run cities, Trump’s hope that there is no such thing as systemic racism, HBCU’s, Mr. Trump’s oft-repeated trope that he has done more for African Americans than any president, possibly other than Lincoln, but including Lyndon Johnson. 

 

This was not discussed at length during the interview, but just for the record, President Johnson was responsible for enacting The Civil Rights Act of 1964, The Voting Rights Act of 1965, the appointed the first Black Supreme Court Justice, Thurgood Marshall, the first Black cabinet officer, Robert Weaver, and the first Black member of the Federal Reserve, Andrew Brimmer. But I digress.

 

Alas, the focus of this post is Congressman Lewis, so this is where I close. “Donald Trump Addresses The John Lewis Issue: The Swan Interview!”

 

I’m done; holla back!

 

Read my blog anytime by clicking the link: http://thesphinxofcharlotte.comFind a new post each Wednesday.

 

To subscribeclick on Follow in the bottom right hand corner of my Home Page at http://thesphinxofcharlotte.com; enter your e-mail address in the designated space, and click on “Sign me up.” Subsequent editions of “Break It Down” will be mailed to your in-box.

 

Consult the links below for more detailed information on a variety of aspects relating to this post:

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaaTZkqsaxY&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2vOckvQVAdHKsTst3W6xwjR0XXngsQSvSTGiOW5rVLT6LhBQmCZ7bfm5A


https://thesphinxofcharlotte.blogspot.com/2020/08/donald-trump-addresses-john-lewis-issue.html


 

No comments: