Wednesday, November 21, 2007

It's Thanksgiving, Right?

Those of you who regularly check in have come to expect a variety of discussion topics, usually centering on some current and significant event, or person in the news. In the grand scheme of things, this week is no different in terms of there being a teeming cornucopia of possibilities from which to choose.

Michael Vick surrendered to authorities Tuesday and began his jail sentence early, Don Imus is scheduled to return to the airwaves on WABC-AM Radio in New York, December 3rd, and as Campaign ’08 heats up, early polling reveals Senator Obama currently holds a slight lead over Senator Clinton, who holds a similarly slight lead over Senator Edwards. When statistical insignificance is factored out, it’s essentially a dead heat.

However, instead of choosing from those, or selecting one of many other hot-button topics du jour, I have instead taken note of the example used in TV and Syndicated Radio scheduling. A great deal of money has been invested in numerous sophisticated studies and other research, all of which have found that you and your families will be busy enjoying good food, and better company, instead of watching or listening to your favorite TV or radio program.

Being a reasonably astute observer, I infer…you, gentle readers, will not be spending an inordinate amount of time reading blogs, no matter how deep, or insightful they may be. To that end, this week’s conversation will be a derivative of David Letterman’s frequently mimicked Top Ten List. No newspaper, magazine, blog, or TV links to track and follow, just my personal list of the top ten things I am thankful for as we prepare for Thanksgiving Day, and the advent of the holiday season in general.

Without further ado, I am thankful for:

#10. Basketball. Pee wee, high school, college, NBA; basketball is fantastic. I have played the game for more than 40 years. It is a source of enjoyment and relaxation, and a catalyst for spirited debate. In a nutshell, it is therapeutic. I am at peace.

#9. Talent, ability, and resourcefulness to earn a living. Each of us is endowed by our creator with an enormous array of skills, talents, abilities, and potential. Having the wherewithal and opportunity to employ one’s gifts in productive and useful purposes is a blessing of the highest order. I am blessed.

#8. Knowledge that I am bigger than my doubters. In life we all encounter obstacles. It is incredibly important to refuse to be diminished or deterred by detractors and doubters. It is even better to use these occurrences as opportunities to grow. I am growing.

#7. Wisdom and examples of elders and Griots. It is often said we should learn from our mistakes. However, very often those who passed this way before, parents, and advisers, extend themselves by sharing the lessons of their challenges. As a rule of thumb it is better, as well as less costly and painful, to learn from others’ mistakes, rather than our own. I am open to learn for others.

#6. Intellectual curiosity. The world is hugely complex and growing more so, daily. Successful navigation requires a certain child-like inquisitive nature; a willingness to suspend belief in boundaries, limitations, and impediments, and instead surmise that every question has a complementary answer, every challenge, a gallant conqueror, and every potential failure, a Phoenix-like solution. I am rising.

#5. Teachers, professors, advisers, and counselors. The United Negro College Fund popularized the phrase, “A mind is a terrible thing to waste.” No individual or group of professionals is more undervalued in our society than those who embrace the essential work of taking young flexible minds and shaping them into vessels that will serve as personal on-board computers and navigation systems for the next 70 to 100 years. I am a product of having had many amazing teachers.

#4. Friends and loved ones. Each of us is challenged to transform our existence from merely making a living to enjoying a fully engaging fruitful and productive life. No single factor is more critical to maximizing life’s bountiful range of experiences than the players present in one’s inner circle. They see you as you are…and love you anyway. I am inspired by my friends and loved ones.

#3. Life, health, strength, and vigor. It goes without saying; most of our fondest desires can be experienced, only if we have at least a modicum of life, health, strength, and vigor. As long as we have a reasonable portion of these commodities, we have endless possibilities to shape our own destiny. I am alive, healthy, strong, and vigorous.

#2. My parents, may they rest in peace. Parenthood is a calling. Not everyone is cut out for it. It is a lifetime sentence, complete with a never-diminishing commitment. However, when done well, it is also the most rewarding experience known to humans. I am fortunate to have had parents who not only gave me great advice, but who also provided me phenomenal examples.

#1. Understanding God is good…all the time! In 2 Corinthians 12:9, God advises: “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.” My parents, my life, my friends, my teachers, my intellect, my elders, my knowledge, my talent, and yes, even my affinity for basketball are all gifts…from God. I am the humble benefactor of His glorious goodness, grace, and tender mercy. Amen!

As you head off to enjoy time with friends and family, take this original Holiday Haiku, from me, made especially for you and this Thanksgiving Day.

A Thanksgiving wish:
Eat, drink, and be quite merry,
Peace be unto you
!”

That’s it for me.

Happy Thanksgiving; holla back!


Read my blog anytime by clicking the link: http://thesphinxofcharlotte.blogspot.com/, or by Googling thesphinxofcharlotte. A new post is published each Wednesday.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

As always...thanks for a meaningful post. Have a blessed holiday with family and friends.

-T.J.
2-MZ-02

kdbrew said...

Leon, I must say, you put it very succinctly. I paused to give thanks for all of which my life is comprised and the experiences I've had along the way. Perspective really does make a big difference in how we view and handle the mountains in our lives. You've given me much to think about. Thanks.

Alpha Heel said...

TJ:

Thanks for your reply. I plan to continue posting, and hope you will continue to find them meanningful.

'06!

Alpha Heel said...

kd:

It is my hope that this blog will serve as a catalyst for thinking more deeply about, and discussing a variety of issues. If you received food for thought...it's working.

Peace, be well, & Happy Thanksgiving!

ncblackrootman said...

One way to get to know a man is to find out what makes him grateful. Thank you for this posting. May all your hopes for the coming season be yours with God's blessings.

Alpha Heel said...

blackrootman:

Appreciate your taking time to read, and espially to holla back. More than anything though, thanks for exhorting God's blessing.

Peace, be well & blessed also!