Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Times Gone By: Deja Vu All Over Again!

It's time to Break It Down!

Happy New Year; Auld Lang Syne, my friends!


The one-half fortnight between Christmas and New Year's Days is a unique occurrence in the unfolding of the American edition of the Gregorian Calendar.  It is the only instance in which the space of a mere seven days separates two major holidays. Unquestionably, the timing is propitious.  Millions of holiday travelers return home from their Christmas commemoration and revelry, just in time to get a day off to "celebrate" the New Year...and recuperate from the old, most notably their extracurricular activities, including the exploits of New Year's Eve.


In last week's post, I presented for your re-airing the Christmas e-concert (12 Days of  Christmas: The Concert - Redux) from the previous Noel.  Today's edition, similarly, is effectively a re-posting of last year's New Year's blog.  Once again, this tack permits new readers to catch-up by seeing the piece, allows long-time readers to reflect upon both the passing year as well as the theme lifted in the post, and finally, and ensures that those busy readers, with no time to invest in checking out a blog during the holidays, will not have to miss anything. It's a win, win...win!


So with that loosely framed preamble behind us, here's the déjà vu all over again:         

Since we are still in the Sweet Spot of the holidays, once again I shall practice minimalism. For your purposes, that means the blog should be available, but not intrusive. To that end, I
am taking a page from last week, but going a step further. Instead of a concert, I give you a song…of reflection.

Robert Burns, a Scot, wrote a poem (Auld Lang Syne) in 1788 that has come to symbolize the spirit of mass contemplation that people around the world invoke as the clock strikes midnight, signaling not just the dawn of a new day, but of a new year. Undoubtedly, you have been somewhere, at sometime, when you joined those assembled to sing Auld Lang Syne, which loosely translated means, Times gone by.

Once again, that time is upon us. After thoughtful reflection on my 2010, I have had no choice but to conclude, my travails have been few and small, especially when compared to my blessings, which have been both abundant and vast! All praises to the one true, omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient God; a mighty fortress is He.

No need to thank me for my inherent thoughtfulness. But, by all means, “Drink a cup of kindness,” or eggnog, or Champagne, or “name your favorite adult beverage,” for me. And, if you are a teetotaler, water will do nicely, thank-you!

As I complete my last post for this year, and, prayerfully and faithfully prepare to embrace 2011, I leave with you this familiar Irish Toast:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

I invite you to click on the link below, which leads to a Smooth Jazz interpretation of Auld Lang Syne, arranged and performed by Donnie Thomas (and listen to the remainder of this week’s edition of Break It Down):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bffBdmlf0Wo

It has been my unique honor and privilege to visit with you briefly for each of the 52 weeks this year. I hope you have derived a fraction of the pleasure reading the blog posts that I have experienced from preparing and providing them to you. Happy New Year; may 2012 be all that you desire!

I’m done; holla back!

Read my blog anytime by clicking the link: http://thesphinxofcharlotte.blogspot.com. A new post is published each Wednesday. For more detailed information on a variety of aspects relating to this post, consult the links below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bffBdmlf0Wo

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/question279.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Lang_Syne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_spot

2 comments:

Soulgoal said...

Thanks so much for another year of thoughtful, well researched and enlightening blog posts. I have truly been blessed by your wisdom and I hope that you will continue your labor of love and outreach throughout 2012!

All the best for a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year filled with the Grace of God and His mercy which endures Forever!

Much love and fraternal respect,

Larry Alston

Alpha Heel said...

Soul goal:

Thx for your generous & gracious comments. The blog is indeed a labor of love. I do look forward to doing all over again in 2012. For now, Cheers!

Alpha Heel