Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A "Vicktory" For Common Sense

It's time to Break It Down!

America’s most infamously notorious dog-fighter became an ex-felon recently. After serving 23 months, most in a Kansas prison, the last couple of months under home detention, Michael Dwayne Vick was released. Convicted of bank-rolling a dog-fighting ring, Vick has now commenced what he hopes will be a journey down the long road to recovery, restoration, and restitution.

Having lost tens of millions of dollars, he clearly has a lot to recover. Having had his reputation tarnished immeasurably, he most certainly has a great deal to restore. Having agitated and angered animal rights activists in general and dog lovers the world over, he likely has more to restitute than he has time to do so. And yet, chances are, Michal Vick is a happy guy. And you know what? I am happy for him!

Nearly two years ago, August 22, 2007, when this matter was being hotly debated, and ultimately adjudicated, I wrote my second blog…about Michael Vick. Please feel free to search the Archives and review it. In that post, I theorized Vick would do some serious time and also that he would return to the NFL. The Federal Courts did their part; now the Philadelphia Eagles have made me a prophet. To celebrate, I have declared them my new favorite football team. Of course, for you to appreciate how little that means, you would really have to know just how little I follow football.

Still, the point is, this is not about the Eagles. It is about my unyielding belief that:

Vick has engendered disproportionately outsized reactions relative
to his deeds

There are convicted murderers who have spent less time in jail than
Michael Vick did. I do not minimize the importance of animal
rights, but what of people’s rights? The clamor, fervor, and intensity
around this issue seem to belie a cheapening of the value of human life. I
find that offensive.

Vick has paid his debt to society

The Federal Courts effectively threw the book at Vick. He
was sentenced to a much longer term in jail than the minimum. Ostensibly
because he was such a high-profile celebrity; an example needed to be made.
OK, got it! But as effectively as that point was made, it is time to move
on.

Vick should be able to pursue his career

See the first two bullet points. Michael Vick is not getting off
light, nor is he receiving preferential treatment. In the grand scheme of
things, he probably got about what he deserved. He should have known
better; he should have exercised more discipline and restraint; and did I
say he should have known better? The truth is we often instinctively endow
athletes, entertainers, and other celebrities with traits and
characteristics they have neither been born with, had instilled, or earned.
For a host of reasons, which I will decline to enumerate here, Vick
lost his way. Now it is time to see if he can find himself, and his way
back to center.

Let me be clear…I am not attempting to persuade anyone of Michael Vick’s innocence. He was guilty. He pled guilty, he was convicted, he was sentenced, and he served his time. In fact, more important, I am not even trying to change anyone’s mind regarding their opinion on Vick’s crimes or on whether he should have the right to return to the NFL.

No, I am quite simply writing to state my personal, man-on-the-street, humble opinion, which is…Vick committed a crime, was subsequently prosecuted, and served his time. Now it is time to reintegrate him into the general population of society, up to and including, providing him an opportunity to seek employment for which he is qualified.

Of course life tends not to be subdivided into such neat little boxes. Animal Rights activists, sports fans, and many others will debate the decision to allow Vick to return, at least until the end of his career. Vick, at 29, is no longer a young man in football terms. He has probably seen his best days as a pro. Still, as long as he is in any corner of the spot light, he will be someone’s topic du jour. Be that as it may, in my view, Michael Vick returning to the NFL is “A “Vicktory” For Common Sense!”

Before closing, I want to take a moment for a brief commercial. Tomorrow will mark the Second Anniversary of “Break It Down!” After having survived 104 weeks, after writing 109 blogs, after hosting two guest bloggers, after engaging in numerous affirming…and a few pointedly challenging discussions with readers, I am overwhelmed with gratitude.

You have given me a gift of incalculable value. Each week, I take time to unpack my thoughts on a particular issue or concern; most often of particular importance to me, and almost always of my own choosing. You in turn respond by actually taking the time to read my rants, and many of you provide me the added bonus and honor of replying as well. I could never thank you enough…but I certainly do Thank You!

I’m done; holla back!

Read my blog anytime by clicking the link: http://thesphinxofcharlotte.blogspot.com. A new post is published each Wednesday. For more detailed information on a variety of aspects relating to this post, consult the links below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Vick

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/comments_blog/2009/08/michael-vick-return-eagles-animals-dogs.html

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/235253

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-eagles-vick&prov=ap&type=lgns

http://newsblaze.com/story/20090816134453lill.nb/topstory.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090814/sp_nm/us_nfl_vick

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=8336933&page=1

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2009/05/21/Michael-Vick-back-home-after-prison-term/UPI-29471242940598/

http://www.miamiherald.com/614/story/1160149.html

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-sp.vick14aug14,0,7353928.story

1 comment:

peace2 said...

"Still, the point is, this is not about the Eagles", it is not about Michael Vick, and it is not even about Animal Rights, it is, however, about MONEY and that is the root of all evil. IT IS WHAT IT IS!

And thank you for the opportunity, pleasure, and honor of allowing me to read your blogs and add my two cents worth from time to time---my Dear Young Friend! peace2