Wednesday, November 26, 2008

It's Thanksgiving, Right?

(In Full Disclosure: This post is adapted from the November 21, 2007 Blog)

Those of you who regularly check in have come to expect a variety of discussion topics, usually centering on some current and significant event, or person in the news. In the grand scheme of things, this week is no different in terms of there being a teeming cornucopia of possibilities from which to choose.

President–elect Obama continues to move with all deliberate speed to appoint his Cabinet, select a Team of Economic Advisers, and cement his Inner Circle. Wall Street and the Stock Market are still showing signs of volatility, but trending favorably in response to his moves.

American Automakers have less than a week to respond to Congress with a retooled robust business plan that offers cogent details on how General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler will reposition themselves in a leaner, greener, 21st Century modality. Meanwhile, auto workers ask why banks seem to have gotten a pass on a bailout/rescue, while this key segment of the manufacturing sector is being held to a different, considerably higher standard. Finally, in a couple of days we will see if lingering fears are confirmed that Black Friday may be awash in red ink.

Instead of choosing from those, or selecting one of many other hot-button topics du jour, I have instead taken note of the example used in TV and Syndicated Radio scheduling. A great deal of money has been invested in numerous sophisticated studies and other research, all of which have found that you and your families will be busy enjoying good food, and better company, rather than watching or listening to your favorite TV or radio program.

Being a reasonably astute observer, I infer…you, gentle readers, will also not be spending an inordinate amount of time reading blogs, no matter how deep, or insightful they may be. To that end, this week’s conversation will, like last year’s pre-Thanksgiving missive, be a derivative of David Letterman’s frequently mimicked Top Ten List. No newspaper, magazine, blog, or TV links to track and follow, just my personal list of the top ten things I am thankful for as we prepare for Thanksgiving Day, and the advent of the holiday season in general.

Without further ado, the things for which I am thankful for this Thanksgiving include:

#10. Basketball
Pee wee, high school, college, NBA; basketball is fantastic. I have played the game for more than 40 years. It is a source of enjoyment and relaxation, and a catalyst for spirited debate. In a nutshell, it is therapeutic. I am at peace.

#9. Talent, ability, and resourcefulness to earn a living
Each of us is endowed by our creator with an enormous array of skills, talents, abilities, and potential. Having the wherewithal and opportunity to employ one’s gifts in productive and useful purposes is a blessing of the highest order. I am blessed.

#8. Knowledge that I am bigger than my doubters
In life we all encounter obstacles. It is incredibly important to refuse to be diminished or deterred by detractors and doubters. It is even better to use these occurrences as opportunities to grow. I am growing.

#7. Wisdom and examples of elders and Griots
It is often said we should learn from our mistakes. However, very often those who passed this way before, parents, and advisers, extend themselves by sharing the lessons of their challenges. As a rule of thumb it is better, as well as less costly and painful, to learn from others’ mistakes, rather than our own. I am open to learn for others.

#6. Intellectual curiosity
The world is hugely complex and growing more so, daily. Successful navigation requires a certain child-like inquisitive nature; a willingness to suspend belief in boundaries, limitations, and impediments, and instead surmise that every question has a complementary answer, every challenge, a gallant conqueror, and every potential failure, a Phoenix-like solution. I am rising.

#5. Teachers, professors, advisers, and counselors
The United Negro College Fund popularized the phrase, “A mind is a terrible thing to waste.” No individual or group of professionals is more undervalued in our society than those who embrace the essential work of taking young flexible minds and shaping them into vessels that will serve as personal on-board computers and navigation systems for the next 70 to 100 years. I am a product of having had many amazing teachers.

#4. Life, health, strength, and vigor
It goes without saying; most of our fondest desires can be experienced, only if we have at least a modicum of life, health, strength, and vigor. As long as we have a reasonable portion of these commodities, we have endless possibilities to shape our own destiny. I am alive, healthy, strong, and vigorous.

#3. Miracles
In the year 2008, American citizens affirmed by ballot, miracles do happen. America is by no means a perfect society, and has not magically morphed into one by electing Barack Obama. What we have done through this unique act of collective courage is invest in the American Dream; reinforcing with vigor, our pursuit of “A More Perfect Union.” I believe in Miracles.

#2. My parents, may they rest in peace; Family Reunions, and friends and loved ones
Parenthood
is a calling; one for which not everyone is cut out. It is a lifetime sentence, complete with a never-diminishing commitment. However, when done well, it is also the most rewarding experience known to humans. Family Reunions are parodied, and cariacatured, and otherwise made fun of, with impunity. Yet, for many, they are the paragon of returning to ones source. I attended two this past summer, and they were abundantly reaffirming. Each of us is challenged to transform our existence from merely making a living to enjoying a fully engaging fruitful and productive life. No single factor is more critical to maximizing life’s bountiful range of experiences than the players present in one’s inner circle. They see you as you are…and love you anyway. I am fortunate to have had parents, who not only gave me great advice, but who provided me phenomenal examples; I revere my family, nuclear and extended; also I am inspired by my friends and loved ones.

#1. Understanding God is good…all the time!
In 2 Corinthians 12:9, God advises: “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.” My parents, my life, my friends, my teachers, my intellect, my elders, my knowledge, my talent, and yes, even my affinity for basketball are all gifts…from God. I am the humble benefactor of His glorious goodness, grace, and tender mercy. Amen!

As you head off to enjoy time with friends and family, and partake of your favorite repast, take this original Holiday Haiku, from me, made especially for you and Thanksgiving Day.

“A Thanksgiving wish:
Eat, drink, and be quite merry,
Peace be unto you!”

That’s it for me. Happy Thanksgiving; holla back!

Read my blog anytime by clicking the link: http://thesphinxofcharlotte.blogspot.com/. A new post is published each Wednesday.

No comments: